3.05.2011

What is a real runner?

Warning: This post is all about running and turned out pretty long. I really should be studying and instead I'm getting lost in these thoughts about running having this great conversation with myself and my computer.

So at one point during the half marathon around mile 9, maybe 10, I had lost track but far enough where I was getting tired, and a lot of people were walking, a woman asked me a question. (Side note, it definitely slows you down trying to weave in and out of hundreds of people walking) We had passed the only "food" aid station in the race where they hand out Clif shot gels. (they had multiple flavors to choose from which was nice, I went with strawberry) As I passed her she said "Hey you look like a real runner, how much of this gel should I take without feeling sick?" My instant response was "Thanks that is very nice but I'm not a real runner" then told her my theory on the gel. (I carried my gel for another 2 miles before deciding I really should ingest it because of how fatigued I was getting, I was also afraid of feeling sick) She said "You look like a real runner, own it." I laughed and said "Well I don't know how to tell you this but you are in this half marathon too so that makes you a runner." She said thanks and I went on my way. It was the boost I needed to keep running and not walk when I had been considering it because she thought I was a "real runner." So the rest of the race I kept thinking no need to walk, I'm a real runner, I can finish this running all the way.

It got me thinking, what is a "real runner?" I've had the conversation before and I guess the answer will be different for everyone. I was three quarters of the way through a half marathon and immediately told this woman I was not a real runner. Then thought, why would I say that, I'm running this, why would I not be a "real" runner? To her I looked like a "real" runner, which I'm not sure what that would look like, again different for everyone I guess. There were certainly people there I never would guess ran.

According to dictionary.com the definition of runner is "a person, animal, or thing that runs, especially as a racer" Seems like a simple enough definition. But ask 5 different people and I bet you will get 5 different answers. For people that don't run at all, I think anyone that runs may be considered a runner. For people that do run, some still don't consider themselves runners and others probably don't consider other runners "real" runners.

I think running is a personal thing. When I was running 5-6 days a week and got injured and couldn't run for awhile, I missed it SO bad. I was in a bad mood because I couldn't run. There are days I can't wait to get out and run and somedays I just dread it. So is a real runner one who looks forward to runs and is doing it for the enjoyment of the run, not because they have to run for some other reason like trying to lose weight?

Then there is the theory that a real runner is one who will run despite reaching a limit and being in pain. A running buddy of mine considers a real runner to be one who won't stop running just because you are tired or feel like you want to stop and walk. A real runner will keep going. If you go with that theory I am not and probably wouldn't ever be a real runner. I very rarely have training runs when I don't take walk breaks. But I somehow manage to make it through races without walking at all. When I am with this running buddy he pushes me to keep going and at the end of long runs I would normally have walked during I feel great that I pushed through.

I have become somewhat of a running shoe snob and won't buy a pair of tennis shoes at Kohl's or Dick's, I'm going to the local sporting goods store where they fit you and can analyze your stride. Yet I refuse to wear the ridiculous running shorts with the built in underwear because that is just weird. I read Runner's World yet can't understand what half of the running workouts they suggest even mean with all the numbers they throw around.

I used to worry about who would see me stop and walk and wonder what they would think. Now I'm pretty much over that. Yet there is a running group here in Columbia and I have thought about participating in it but I'm intimidated by it. I am afraid I won't run good enough or I would do my usual walk and then reveal to everyone I'm not a "real" runner.
The t-shirt from the marathon
And the wonderful medal

I currently have the medal hanging on a mirror in my closet. Not real sure where to put it yet. Maybe if I collect a few more I will get an official medal hanger.

My $5 souvenier purchase. I thought it was appropriate given the purpose of the trip.
So here is my "you know you are a runner when" list:
1. The belt you have is a called a fitness/sports/running belt, anything except a mini fanny pack. A runner will not call the belt a mini fanny pack.
2. You are excited about purchasing a GPS watch.
3. You can tell someone approximately how many miles are on your tennis shoes but not on your car.
4. All your race times are etched into your brain.
5. You have a system to critique the race t-shirts. (The Disney one is a tech tee and is great!)
6. You know not to wear the race t-shirt until anytime after the race, not during.
7. You can name distances between random locations.
8. You have a running playlist.
9. When you can't run due to an injury you are more upset about not being able to run than worried about your actual injury.
10. Your dog gets excited and knows she has the possibility of joining you for a run just by you grabbing your GPS watch and iPod.
11. You find it enjoyable to read blogs about other people's adventures in running.
12. When you see or hear PR you no longer think "Public Relations" even though you majored in it, you think "Personal Record"
13. You measure the temperature outside in terms of how good of running weather temp it is.
14. You can't wait to sign up for the next race as soon as you finish the current one.
15. There are always cold and warm running clothes and a pair of shoes in your car so you can stop at the trail anytime.
16. You know what Gu is.
17. Your philosphy is just like the post office-rain, snow, sleet, or shine you will run. Some of the best runs have been in the rain.
18. Bottom line in my opinion-you know you are a real runner when you feel like running is a part of who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment