1.19.2011

Be Fierce

Running can be a very emotional thing. There are days when it makes me feel strong and days when it makes me feel weak. Days when it puts me in a great mood. There are days where I have an emotional run and maybe it's because I'm tired or a lot is on my mind but I may have some emotional moments during a run. If I happen to be on the trail on those days I hope it is sunny and I'm wearing sunglasses so everyone else around me doesn't notice my little breakdown.
Those days that get emotional are the days it's easy for me to think "what am I doing thinking I can run long distances?" You know, if I'm already having a bit of a pity party (and sometimes I'm not even sure why I am) why not throw on top of everything my insecurities about my abilities. So I came across some mantras to keep in mind that I think will help me talk myself back into thinking positive when I'm having a moment. I found all of them except the last one on other running blogs.

-When your legs are tired, run with your heart.

-I need to know I'm strong in ways I've never really believed.

-Being uncomfortable won't kill me.

-There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going.

-There is no passion to be found in playing small, in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living- Nelson Mandela

-Your limits might not be where you think they are.

-You are exactly where you are supposed to be.

-Fear and pain are life's greatest teachers.

This one I "created" myself using a mantra word chart in my Runner's World magazine:
Be fierce, embrace courage. I think it's a good slogan for 2011 in general, not just in running.

No comments:

Post a Comment