1.30.2011

As much fun as ripping off toenails

Today I ran the Resolution Run 5k. I was hoping to beat my best 5k time of 28:47. That didn't happen. I finished at 31:08. The average time was 31:37 so I guess I was still above the average. I was pretty disappointed with my time at first but the course was one hilly SOB. So after thinking about it with the hills that were involved I think I'm actually happy I ended up finishing with a 10 min. mile pace. The first half mile was a gradual climb uphill. Not to mention the black ice that you were constantly looking out for. I was told that once you got past the monster hill at the start it was all downhill from there. Uh, wrong! Nothing like that great feeling of relief when you go downhill until then you turn the corner and there is another quarter mile uphill again. Crap. It was painful climbing those hills. The girls started 3 minutes ahead of the guys and I was pleasantly surprised when my friend didn't catch up with me until 1.7 miles into the race. Unfortunately he caught me right as I got to the top of a hill and all I could say in the little voice I could muster up was "This is one hilly mother @#*&%^!" He agreed he was about done. After that we both ran in silence for the rest of the time. Until he said "give it all you got" and took off. There was no way he was going to let me beat him. I started this race feeling strong, passing people left and right. By the time I made it to the top of the first hill I felt like I had been born smoking a cigarette. But I recovered on the downhill and passed a few more people and was running around an 8:30 mile pace. Until the hills hit and then I had to slow down a bit.
I'm not sure what is worse, a short steep hill or a long, gradual climb. Both are about as much fun as getting a toenail ripped off. The official results are here. I was 23rd out of 63 women, 57th out of 108 runners, and 5th out of 10 in my age division. Given the fact my head hurts and I could vomit, I think those hills got all I had to give. No doubt had this not been a race and if I would have been running this route on my own I would have stopped and walked, probably before hitting the first mile. But during a race with all those people around you, the pressure is on and there is no walking for me!
This is my new running belt I ordered. Haven't tried it yet and will only be using it on longer runs or longer races. It can hold a camera, cell phone, energy chews, id cards, iPod. It packs a lot in that little pouch. And the great part is, not only does it have a pink zipper, but it doesn't bounce around on your waist!

I know what you are thinking, like I really need any more lipgloss. But my MAC lipgloss was about out and it is my favorite lipgloss hands down. I was excited to get these in the mail. The colors on the MAC website are pretty much exactly what you get. The one on the right is the Lady Gaga edition. This whole week and even weekend has been very stressful. Come to think of it, it has been as much fun as getting a toenail ripped off all week long, not just today's run.

No comments:

Post a Comment