7.26.2009

Weekend recap

Thanks to Jona I discovered this amazing new toy...the swiffer sweeper vac. I never knew I could have so much fun sucking up dog hair from the tile floor. No more broom. Thanks Jona, this thing is freaking awesome!


Saturday consisted of:
running to Target, twice
Exchanged the lime green chair I had in the reading corner for this pink paisley one along with a matching ottoman. Caylea hates it, I love it.
Going to Maurices to find new jeans and found cute new shirt instead.
Left Target and saw a G6 being lifted up on a tow truck, knew exactly how that person must be feeling!
Came home from the mall and climbed into my comfy new bed sheets with my comfy new fluffy pillows and flipped on the tv and plugged in the laptop. This was at 5pm. Didn't get out of bed all night. Except for popsicles. Awesome.
Watched a movie from Netflix, Tell No One. I read the book and wanted to see the movie, didn't realize it was all in French. Weird though, halfway through it I had to stop and ask myself if they were speaking English all the sudden. Weird how you get so used to the captioning you don't even notice it.
Felt pretty lazy today.
Sunday:
woke up and thought "I should run, I should mow, I should work OT, I should go to the pool." So many "to-dos" that I couldn't figure out what the heck to do. So put together a shelf/bench I bought for the closet and it frustrated me to no end. It wasn't even hard, the darn screws just didn't want to line up.
Had pent up frustration from the darn shelf so just stopped thinking and jumped in car and went to work
Was uber-productive at work for 5 hours
Kinda creepy being there by myself though
Came home and lifted weights and ran on the treadmill
Mowed lawn
Noticed 12 year old boy across the street watching me mow, after I was done he offered to let me borrow their blower. Super nice.
Stood back to admire my hard work and realized I think I accidentally mowed part of the neighbors yard that he had just mowed. It's kinda noticable since my mower setting is much lower than his.
Sent text to neighbor apologizing for sucking at mowing. He was cool with it.
Felt very productive today.
Found this write up on what has become one of my fave blogs...
the ‘as in the beginning’ buddha rule
There is a Buddhist saying:
As in the beginning, so in the middle, so in the end.
...and it's one of my life compasses. It never fails me and it's nearly always proven true.
Things often continue how they start. The click, the comfort, the clarity – or the lack thereof, is there at the get-go and whatever the dynamic is, it’ll just keep going to greater or lesser degrees.
IGNORE EARLY SIGNS AT YOUR OWN PERIL
I was looking to hire an important player for one of my businesses and got set up with Start Up Guy. Start Up Guy blew off our first scheduled meeting entirely. He stood me up and didn't call for two days to reschedule (I'm not sure he even apologized to my assistant.) But he was so seemingly qualified and connected that I chose to ignore the As-In-The-Beginning-Rule, and hired him anyway. Do I need to tell you how that middle and end went? Yep. In one way or another he continued to stand me up, until it all came down.
EASY DOES IT, AND DOES IT GOOD
When I’m tempted to take short cuts or ignore early flags, I remind myself that the most fab, wonderful, sustaining experiences and relationships in my life all began incredibly easily. Examine your first encounters and kick-offs. They may be a micro of the macro.
You have oodles of critical information in the beginning if you’re paying very close attention.
And if you don't buy it from Buddha or me, then take it from Maya Angelou who says, "The first time someone shows themselves to you, believe them."

1 comment:

  1. I so could NOT live without my swiffer vacuum... I am sorry with pets you didn't know this secret sooner! I just use it for eveything daily on my hardwood floors!

    ReplyDelete